Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book talk and other things

                                                                  Set Fire To The Rain, Adele


Jeff and I kicked started this morning leisurely over coffee and conversation. Before we set off to Sonora I had a wonderful convesation with Erin. I have absolutely the best daughter-in-law ever. She is beautiful, intelligent, funny, thoughtful (in addition to being a terrific mom and wife) and she is the best listener... she is beloved by family and friends because of the love and kindness she shares with everyone. This is leading into my previous phone conversation with Erin. I spoke with her the day I arrived back home from the hospital.  Somewhere into the conversation I could hear clacking, clanging and some sounds I have no clue as to what they were.
Erin, are you okay? What are you doing? Oh, nothing... I'm searing a roast in the kitchen (that explains the clanging of pans). Uhhm, she laughs, there was a small kitchen fire, but it's out now. WHAT? Nothing, it's put out, it was just a small fire. Now what were we talking about? At which point we both began laughing. Erin always makes me laugh. So after our morning conversation this morning it was time for Jeff and I to pull it together and cruise on over to Sonora. First stop was McDonalds for lunch. Then the $ Store where we picked up a few books:





Then we ran into one of our fav bookstores, Mountain Bookshop, a few doors down. I always find something I love and have not always been in search of. Jeff selected Stephen King's latest bestseller 11/22/63. While I chose Joyce Carol Oates, A Widow's Story, a memoir (the book cover is intentionally blurry). And then a fabulous find, My Faraway One selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz, volume 1 (814 pages). Her writing style is similar to mine, but so much better-- I can't wait to dig in. But, first I have to finish reading Rose, My Life In Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison. Earlier this week, The House I Loved, written by Tatiana De Rosnay arrived. So, I am fully stocked with wonderful books, in addition to Jeff's Valentine gifts of books... which should take me through the Spring, as I am reading slowly these days, I haven't been juggling my usual 2-3 books a week.






After these purchases, we headed over to Staples, where Jeff picked up new phones for the house.  A panasonic base station with 2 remote handsets that have intercom systems. So, one is in the writing room, one in the den and one in the master bedroom.  And, in 7 hours they should be fully charged. It'll be great to have a house phone that actually works again-- we've been using our cells, so it's been no big deal.
We then cruised home, after a quick stop at the market. Jeff went back to his writing while I hunkered down and watched Blue Bloods, The Pioneer Woman and Selling LA that had been recorded to our DVR.
A gorgeous afternoon.  With the exception of the last few days, I don't think we're going to have a winter this year.
Jeff cheffed up a yummy chile, cheese, rice casserole for dinner and now we're both going to hunker down and read before bed...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home