Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Eagle's On The Move



 
   Knee Deep, Zac Brown ft. Jimmy Buffett

I've been a busy girl today-- on the move! It's been a day of walking, walking and more walking. I am feeling more confident in my ability to get around, albeit on crutches, but my gait is returning to normalcy.  On the flip side, I can't find a comfy position to sit in for long stretches. However, I have made a huge breakthrough by being able to lie on my side and even managed to lie on my stomach briefly and stretch out. Heaven never felt so good.
This afternoon I was walking and went in the guest bath to wash my hands. Placing my crutches against the wall. I washed/dried my hands, turned the guest bath overhead light off and began to walk out the door... without my crutches! It was then, Oh... I should get my crutches, duh!
It is painful and I am still in the early stages of healing, but what the difference a day makes...
Yesterday, my home health nurse was here and Friday will be my last day with that outreach as she proudly told me I am doing phenomenally well. I have no gages, what does that mean? I asked. In two weeks I am where most people are in their 8th week of healing. I have 2 weeks of in-home physical therapy before attending physical therapy sessions at our local hospital.
Before you think, wow! Let me tell you it's an ongoing struggle and there continue to be setbacks along the way. The weather might make my knees stiff, or just one in particular.  I think of my lovely friend Ruth often these days as she warned me that physical therapy is Pain and Torture. So true, but so worth it. I usually say this after the fact not during.
I am making small goals, personal appts for mid-May; hair appointments, optical (while I have the time) etcetera.
Jeff is making lemon chicken w/steamed rice and gravy. The house smells SO yummy. It amazes me how hungry I am after exercise. I've lost an additional 10 lbs. due to my response to pain meds, which also helps my knee. I feel very upbeat and am ready for the challenge ahead.  Bring on Summer!



3 Comments:

At April 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM , Anonymous jeffrey said...

And I am waiting until we can take those nice walks we used to do around these old towns. Go Girl!

 
At April 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM , Blogger c_wildswan said...

Summer evenings, weekends and holidays will be finding us walking about our fav towns...

 
At April 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM , Blogger c_wildswan said...

Oh, and remember that Emma and I have a race date to the ice cream parlor, I plan on winning this summer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home