Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?



Rewind 10 years ago: Jeff, Dave and I were living in our Forrest Meadows condo in Murphys. Dave was sleeping in as he had the day off. Jeff & I had just finished morning coffee in the (second level) living room while watching Imus In The Morning on MSNBC.  Walking upstairs to the 3rd level master suite, I turned the television on channel 3 news while I made our bed. I had just finished placing the pillows and rolling down the comforter at the foot of the bed when they annouced that a small commuter plane had crashed into tower 1 of the World Trade Center.

Walking through the master suite to my clear story writing loft I yelled down to Jeff to see if he had heard this announcement.  Then stepped into the shower before getting ready for work.




I had just stepped out of the shower and had slipped into my bathrobe when the phone rang. The caller was Tara. She, Kyle & Hali lived just down the road, close to downtown Murphys. "Mom, we're under attack!" Then asked if I had seen the plane fly into the World Towers? As I walked back into the master suite I sat down on the foot of the bed just in time to see the 2nd plane hit tower 2.  At about this same time Jeff came bounding up the stairs to join me. Hanging up from Tara, we just sat there not being able to grasp the reality of what we had just seen.



On the way in to work (Jeff & I commuted together that day), we were almost into Angels Camp, when the car radio announced that the Pentagon had just been attacked. The rest of the day was surreal and was like walking in slow motion.



All through the day ears and eyes were peeled to radios and television sets for further news.



That evening, back at home as Jeff and I watched the continued coverage of 9/11-- we were so grateful that ALL of our loved ones were safe, while our hearts went out to the many families who had been touched by this tragedy and had lost their loved ones.





FF to present: Jeff & I watched the 10th anniversary memorial ceremony this morning, then switched over to a 9/11 documentary on A&E. Watching those events unfold again, moment by moment, we still have the same sense of disbelief and the surrealness of that day is once again present all these many years later, watching it is like time hasn't passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home