Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Walk On The Wild Side

Bonbon strategising a method of attack.


Last Sunday found us in a funk over Bonbon's sudden collapse and ER visit/stay at our Vet. Jeff suggested WE get outta the house as I needed to have my spirits lifted. He was treating me to lunch and said he had just the place in mind. WE tooled up to Sutter Creek where we had lunch at one of our fav little restaurants-- Susan's Place. Their covered patio is right next door to Gallery 10, so that you can look through the glass doors at art while you dine and music is filtered overhead through the outdoor intercom. It has a wonderful rustic flare and always reminds me of being in Ben Lomand/Felton near Santa Cruz. Something about the way the light and shadows cut through the patio area create a ghrotto vibe...









We were seated at a table close to the front of the restaurant near the street and dove aviary. Over the music I noticed a couple seated a few tables away, to my left, and back a bit. Jeff sat across from me, facing their direction. The woman was quietly talking while the gentleman she was with seemed agitated.
Looking closer, I noticed he was a somewhat pseudo ivy league wanna be type and noticeably obnoxious to our waitress. He provided me with wry amusement throughout our entire stay at the restaurant.

Upon ordering lunch I decided to go with a special which was fresh aspargus soup paired with a chicken wrap (cherry tomatoes, avocado, arugula. Jeff went with a pulled beef sandwich and a salad (honey/ginger/sesame dressing).

Then the real fun began~ we always have SO much fun together, you really can't take us places. The above mentioned couple had finished their lunch. Our waitress walked over to their table and asked if they would like dessert. The man began a brutal (and unnecessary) tirade.  Jeff who can't hear in restaurant settings was oblivious to what had now captured ALL of our attention. Jeff looked puzzled. I said, Jeff look over there, pointing with 1 finger in hands that were interclasped (I was leaning forward with my elbows on the table towards Jeff) but, don't be obvious. Jeff looks over and asks (describing this man) is that him? Yes. Jeff looks over non-challantly. Then stands and rotates his chair in a 180 turn. (mind you he was facing that table to begin with)
I am watching Jeff in utter confusion. He has now turned his back away from everyone (they're behind me) and is facing Gallery 10 and the bird aviary (sitting sideways). What are you doing? You look like you're in time out! Jeff replies, You told me to look over here.  Then we start to giggle and cannot stop laughing. The kind of laughter where tears are rolling down your face. Other tables are now laughing by watching me. Jeff the guy is over there! (in the complete opposite direction) Jeff answers, You were pointing with both fingers, I thought you were talking about someone in the gallery. I didn't know which finger you meant. And, of course, by turning your chair in a direction completely opposite would not be drawing attention to yourself, I answered.  We finally managed to stop laughing in time for dessert, individual round cheesecakes with chocolate, berrys dizzled with strawberry syrup. Following dessert we listened to two of my fav standby songs before leaving Susan's.




                                             

                                                  to be continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home